I can't come up with a good title -_-

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Struggling to make a post

I've been thinking about art after our discussion in class today, but I'm still not sure what to say about it even after ten minutes of thinking around the topic.

I can say, however, that I agreed with Dylan when he said that works of art that are made just to be works of art tend to be bad. One of the first things that came to my mind here was the alternate ending of dodgeball.

Incase you haven't seen it, basically the alternate ending is that Avergage Joe's gymnasium loses at the dodgeball finals to the purple snakes, and the movie just ends like that. In the commentary, the director said that he wished he could have used that ending because it would have been the more artistic way of ending the movie, but the test audience hated it and they had one day to reshoot the end of the movie that you see in the original film.

I can't really understand why he would want to suddenly be "artistic" with this movie. The whole presentation is filled with slapstick humor and gags that are there to just make us laugh. Why at the last minute would he want to change the whole attitude of the movie toward ultimate failure when everyone is awaiting the polar opposite? That's like almost finishing "Dumb and Dumber" and then deciding in an instant to have Jim Carrey to make deep political arguments in the story because nobody will see it coming.

I don't really have a strong argument with this alone, but I wanted to post to show I thought about it. I just wasn't going to be satisfied with myself today if all I wrote was that I thought about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dylan said...

All I can say is this:

At least the ending to Dodgeball was clever.

Other than that, yeah.

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home