I can't come up with a good title -_-

Sunday, April 30, 2006

For the sake of cheapness

I love to watch cheap, lame, and poorly made old movies and television shows. I have at least ten DVDs of this stuff in my house and I'm only getting more. You might be asking, how can I enjoy watching something that I know is not worth my time?

Actually, I'm not too sure myself.

Perhaps there is something appealing about scoping out plot holes in these poorly written stories that sell for around five bucks a pop. Pitifully made special effects are always amusing as well. Or maybe these productions are entertaining because they are so poor that I don't have to think to understand it. I guess I have weird taste in entertainment, huh?

No, not really. Not if you consider some things we watch today.

For example, let's consider the production "Napoleon Dynamite". Roughly half of our generation hated it, while the other half loved the film. And while this one half of a generation is probably the only group of people that will ever like the movie, most fans had this argument for the quality of the movie.

"It's stupid, but in a funny way!"

In the world of television, we're not overflowing with quality programming either. But we watch it. Can anyone concretely argue that fear factor is a blessing in our society? That show just is crap. I'll never want to sit down and watch someone eat insects, almost get themselves killed in a car stunt, and nearly drown themselves trying to earn some easy money, but some people love it. They must love it, how else could it be on the air for so long?

Ultimately, there is always going to be someone who thinks you have bad taste in something, and vice versa. The challenge comes in understanding the different points of view and respecting them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home